Certificate in Palliative Care Services
The proposed Supplementary Certificate in Palliative Care Services course at Lyantonde School of Nursing and Midwifery in Uganda is designed to provide students with specialized knowledge and skills in the field of palliative care. This six-month course aims to equip healthcare professionals with the necessary competencies to provide compassionate care and support to individuals with life-limiting illnesses and their families. The certificate course in Palliative Care Services will be conducted over a period of six months, divided into several modules.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of palliative care: Students will acquire in-depth knowledge of the principles, philosophy, and concepts of palliative care, including symptom management, pain control, and psycho social support.
- Enhance communication and interpersonal skills: Emphasis will be placed on effective communication techniques, active listening, empathy, and supporting patients and their families through difficult conversations.
- Provide holistic care to patients with life-limiting illnesses: The course will focus on addressing physical, emotional, social, and spiritual needs of patients, promoting their overall well-being and quality of life.
- Foster interdisciplinary collaboration: Students will learn the importance of working as part of a multidisciplinary team, including physicians, nurses, social workers, and counselors, to provide comprehensive palliative care.
- Enhance ethical decision-making and cultural sensitivity: The course will explore ethical dilemmas in palliative care and guide students in making informed decisions while respecting cultural beliefs, values, and individual autonomy.
Student learning and progress will be assessed through written assignments, presentations, case studies, and practical assessments. The assessments will evaluate students' understanding of palliative care principles, their ability to apply knowledge to practical situations, and their communication and teamwork skills.
Upon completion of the Supplementary Certificate in Palliative Care Services course, healthcare professionals will be equipped with specialized skills to work in various settings, such as hospices, hospitals, home care agencies, and palliative care units. They can pursue career paths as palliative care nurses, palliative care coordinators, palliative care social workers, or engage in palliative care consultancy.